The External Communications and Media Relations (Senior) Manager is a hands-on, roll up your business communications specialist with expertise providing clear, concise written and verbal messaging for external audiences. You can easily traverse multiple communications priorities – whether you are reporting the quarterly earnings, communicating through a crisis, or proactively developing stories to increase awareness of Yum! Brands global business and strategic growth priorities and its executives at the corporate level. You know how to build relationships with key media to tell different aspects of Yum! Brands’ story.
- Strategic Thinker/Tactically Skilled – You can see the forest through the trees and know how to craft strategic short and long-term programs that are aligned with business goals. At the same time, you can’t wait to roll-up your sleeves and get the work done. This is a high-level individual contributor role without direct reports.
- Business Acumen –You’re business savvy and know how to build relationships, interpret financial indicators, adopt innovative ideas and apply knowledge of the business to advance organization’s goals.
- Flexible & Cool Headed – You are ready and able to adapt to different challenges quickly and comfortably. There is no typical day in this role, and often, what you end up spending the day on wasn’t even on your radar the day before. You can gracefully handle the unknowns, while delivering against the overarching program objectives.
- Forward Thinking – You anticipate the short and long-term implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
- Manages complexity – You understand complex ideas or problems. You work to identify the root cause and can synthesize and formulate an understandable and executable communications solution.
- Collaborative – You can quickly gain the respect and at all levels of the organization. You are a true team player who listens, asks probing questions, and allows others to be heard.
- Results Driven – You find ways to succeed no matter what the challenge, taking ownership of responsibilities by evaluating, selecting, and employing various methods and strategies for solving problems and meeting objectives. You are self-directed. And most importantly, you know how to deliver expected or agreed upon results.
- Handles Ambiguity – You are ready and able to adapt to different challenges quickly and comfortably. You effectively work with change and lead others through it.
- Curious – You have natural curiosity, so you research on your own, ask probing questions and take little for granted. You master a situation and learn new things fast. Continuous learning is an essential part of your life.
- Global mindset – You live locally but think globally. You will be working with colleagues around the globe and apply that broader, inclusive world view to all the messaging and initiatives you help develop as part of the Internal Communications team.
- Analytical – Skilled in using analysis to draw conclusions from data, you are systematic and rational. You analyze complex problems in a systematic way and evaluate reasonable alternatives before taking action. You interpret technical information and form solid conclusions.
Corporate Communications/Media Relations
- Develop and implement PR plans that amplify Yum! Brands’ business priorities, including a deep focus on storytelling around the company’s digital & technology and disruptive innovation initiatives.
- Proactively seek out, identify and manage high level Yum! executive visibility media and speaking engagements, pitch top-tier media outlets and manage execution.
- Compose accurate and well-written materials including: key messages, scripts, Q&As, press releases, schedules, slides and fact sheets.
- Achieve measurable impact through proactive and reactive media relations.
- Collaborate with internal communications team to ensure consistency in messaging across audiences.
- Support external business and financial communications content and strategy around quarterly and annual news and events
- Collaborate across the company to source, interpret and package data on operational and financial performance.
- Maintain pulse on media and financial analyst reporting and perceptions to help inform leadership and messaging.
- Prepare messaging and materials for leadership media interviews.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key business and financial media for news and proactive storytelling.
- Provide crisis communications support and serve as spokesperson as needed.
- Develop and draft crisis plans, media strategies, reactive media statements, talking points, FAQs, memos, crisis simulations and other deliverables.
Key Qualifications and Required Skills:
Education: Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- PR/Communications Agency experience supporting large, global, publicly traded organizations.
- Proven ability to understand financial concepts and analyze information to create compelling communications.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate cross-functionally within an organization to get results.
- Communications project and program management.
- Works with external partners – creative agencies, production organizations, vendor partners
- Strong communication skills including writing, editing, proofreading and presentation.
- Vigilant attention to detail with a demonstrated ability to adhere to tight timelines and schedules.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills with meticulous calendar management.
- Scrappy, nimble, and deeply dedicated to generating great results
- Self-directed, but knows when to seek counsel and input.
- Comfortable multi-tasking and able to deliver results under pressure.
This role could be located in Louisville, KY or Dallas, TX. Other locations with Yum! offices may be considered.
Interested in learning more? Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org